With winter just around the corner or already arrived at some locations, it is never too late to review the winter care instructions for Duradek. Duradek’s website offers some helpful tips when it comes to the best practices for proper care of your Duradek.
Preparation for Winter
First, take this opportunity to perform an annual inspection of your Duradek. Ideally, you should clean your Duradek before inspection to make it easier to recognize any issues. Refer to Duradek’s Care and Cleaning Guide for more information.
It is the homeowner’s responsibility to inspect the caulking used to seal posts, pillars, corners, vents, and drains. Over time, the structure to which the vinyl sheeting is applied can crack, shrink, or shift which can break the caulking seal. A yearly inspection will uncover such problems.
Polyurethane caulk is recommended for use with the Duradek. Silicone caulk will not adhere to the Duradek and, therefore, should not be used.
Also, take this opportunity to check the integrity of the seams as well as for any cuts in the vinyl. Should you discover any issues, promptly contact your Duradek installer to facilitate repairs and prevent possible water intrusion.
Contact us if you need a referral to our network of Authorized Duradek Applicators.
Snow and Ice Removal
Duradek can stand up to the harshest winter conditions and can be easily cared for. The following are common methods of snow and ice removal:
• Plastic edged snow shovels are fine to use on your Duradek but avoid ones with metal edges
• Shovel in direction of seams and not across to avoid possible damage.
• A variety of ice melting products including calcium chloride and rock salt are safe to use.
• You can increase traction on icy patches with kitty litter (gravel style).
• When the snow and the ice are gone and seasonal conditions allow, be sure to clean with soap and water and then thoroughly rinse so that any remaining chemical residue is not baked into the surface by the sun.
A quick review of these tips will help protect your Duradek even through the harsh winter months. If you have any additional questions concerning the care of your Duradek, please do not hesitate to contact us.