Improperly detailed railing penetrations are the leading cause of leaks on Duradek projects. These leaks are almost always due to the railing system being installed by a contractor who is not familiar with the proper materials or techniques needed to prevent water intrusion at the railing attachment point. Not only will leaks like this cause significant water damage, they are also not covered by Duradek’s material warranty.
PROTECT YOUR INVESTMENT AND ONLY ALLOW AN AUTHORIZED DURADEK DEALER TO MAKE ALTERATIONS TO YOUR WATERPROOF DECK ESPECIALLY DURING RAILING INSTALLATION
Depending on the railing you choose, Duradek has various approved details for installation that your Authorized Duradek Installer has been trained to perform to ensure complete waterproofing. These range from SUITABLE to GOOD to BETTER to BEST.
SUITABLE = Collared and Clad Wood Post
When a wood post is attached to the structural framing and protrudes through the deck surface, a Duradek collar is installed around the base and 6” up the post to protect the penetration point at the deck. The post then must be clad in a waterproof manner such as with a vinyl or metal post sleeve.
- The post is left exposed or not clad in a watertight manner allowing water to bypass the Duradek system and enter the structure.
- Duradek collars are often damaged or destroyed when a tight post sleeve is installed and care is not taken to prevent such issues (such as by someone not educated in Duradek details).
- Movement of the wood post due to natural aging may cause the collar to become loose over time and allow water infiltration.
GOOD=Surface Mounted Post
This is the most common method of attaching railing to Duradek. Once the post location is determined, pilot holes are drilled through the Duradek, substrate, and into structural framing. These pilot holes are then filled with an approved sealant to keep water out of the penetration points. To be covered by warranty, this should be performed by a trained Duradek installer.
- Alteration of the Duradek by others can have an impact on warranty coverage for Duradek’s material warranty and the installer’s workmanship warranty.
- Improper sealant may be used that doesn’t sufficiently bond with the Duradek and seal the penetration.
- Lack of annual inspection and maintenance of the sealant by the owner – sealant is covered under Duradek warranty for 1 year.
BETTER = Raised and Covered Base Mounted
Here a riser is installed and waterproofed with Duradek prior to the post installation. A riser of just ¼” will raise the penetration points out of the path of water flowing off the deck. The post installation on top of the riser is the same as described for surface mounting above.
Same as listed for surface mounted posts.
BEST = Fascia Mounted Posts
Common sense tells us that the less penetrations in your waterproof deck the lower the potential for a leak. Therefore, railings mounted to the outside of the deck on the fascia are the best option.
- Fascia mounted systems are typically more expensive for materials and labor.
- Limitations of the structure and/or design may not accommodate fascia mounting.
- Accommodations for proper detailing of the outside edge of the Duradek (drip edge) must be provided.
MULTIPLE SOURCES VS. SINGLE SOURCE
By having your Authorized Duradek Installer also install your railings of choice, you ensure that all material and workmanship warranties provided will be enforceable as alterations have not been made by others. However, you will have a separate material warranty for your railing.
YOU CAN HAVE ONE COMPREHENSIVE WORKMANSHIP AND MATERIAL WARRANTY by choosing Durarail railings to be installed by your Authorized Duradek Installer. Duradek and Durarail go hand in hand to provide quality products installed by trained professionals and offer the best warranties in the industry. This way if you ever do have an issue, you have one installer and one manufacturer to provide you assistance.
Durarail powder coated aluminum railings are available in a variety of styles and colors with various mounting options. Complete information can be found by visiting the Durarail section of Duradek’s website.
ULTIMATELY YOUR BEST CHOICE IS A SINGLE SOURCE INSTALLATION AND WARRANTY!
For more information on our material warranties, see these resources:
Please feel free to contact Duradek MidAtlantic if you have any questions or would like further information.